Subscribe to Comments is a robust plugin that enables commenters to sign up for e-mail notification of subsequent entries. The plugin includes a full-featured subscription manager that your commenters can use to unsubscribe to certain posts, block all notifications, or even change their notification e-mail address!
Latest version: Download Subscribe to Comments v2.3 [zip]
This plugin has been downloaded 475272 times.
- Put subscribe-to-comments.php into [wordpress_dir]/wp-content/plugins/
- Go into the WordPress admin interface and activate the plugin
- Optional: if your WordPress theme doesn’t have the comment_form hook, or if you would like to manually determine where in your comments form the subscribe checkbox appears, enter this where you would like it:
<?php show_subscription_checkbox(); ?>
- Optional: If you would like to enable users to subscribe to comments without having to first leave a comment, place this somewhere in your template, but make sure it is outside the comments form. A good place would be right after the ending
</form>tag for the comments form:
<?php show_manual_subscription_form(); ?>
Q. How can I tell if it’s working?
- Log out of WordPress
- Leave a comment on an entry and check the comment subscription box, using an e-mail that is NOT the WP admin e-mail address or the e-mail address of the author of the post.
- Leave a second comment using a different e-mail address than the one you used in step 2 (it can be a bogus address).
- This should trigger a notification to the first address you used.
Q. I’d like the subscription checkbox to be checked by default. Can I do that?
A. Not anymore. But the checkbox status will be remembered on a per-user basis.
Q. My subscription checkbox shows up in a strange place. How do I fix it?
A. Try unchecking the CSS “clear” option. Beyond that, you’re on your own with CSS positioning.