VBR Mp3 Fix

When I bought my iPod, I noticed that some songs couldn’t seek, some cut off prematurely, and some said they were much longer than they really were. What gives? Well, apparently iTunes and the iPod use a totally old school method of reading variable bitrate headers.

There are two main ways to encode an Mp3: fixed bitrate, and variable bitrate. Fixed bitrates (160kbps to 320kbps for “CD quality audio”) encode each frame of audio using a fixed amount of bits. So a second of silence gets the same number of bits as a second of heavy metal. As you can probably guess, this isn’t terribly efficient. So why use a fixed bitrate? Predictability. You know how big the file is going to be, based on the time, and there are certain times when it is good to be able to have a direct time to size ratio.

Variable bit rate, as you might have guessed, works by changing the bitrate, as needed. There are a lot of options when encoding variable bitrate files, but the basic idea is that you choose a “floor” bitrate and a “ceiling” bitrate. The moments of lowest complexity will use the “floor,” and the moments of highest complexity will use the “ceiling.” Thus, bits are allocated according to need. Sort of like Socialism. Bits are taken from the simple and given to the complex. So the result is a file that is high in efficiency, and doesn’t suffer from noise artifacts during the tricky parts to encode.

Anyway, iTunes uses an old school “header” to designate VBR (Variable BitRate) files. This header, called a “Xing” header, after the crappy encoder that started it, has fallen out of use, but for some reason, Apple has embraced it. If your VBR files don’t have the header, you are going to have problems, such as not being able to seek through your files, having files cut out prematurely, and having an incorrect total time reported. When I first got my iPod, I found a program that fixed this. I honestly haven’t bought more than a dozen songs since then, so I’d forgotten the name of the program. I just converted a WAV file to an Mp3, and ran into the VBR header problem, so I “refound” the program that saved me before.

The program is called VBRfix. It runs on Windows, and Linux. Not sure about OSX. The best part is that once you get it set up, you can simple point it at your music directory, and let it do its magic. I let it run for an hour or two, and it fixed all my music. Now, I make sure to scan any new Mp3 files with it, to ensure that they will work properly. If you are having any problems with Mp3 files on your iPod or in iTunes, I highly recommend that you give it a try.

Comments

1. says

I just my iPod today. I’m ripping some ofmy CDs into iTunes right now. At some point though, I will have to finish writing my paper which is due on Saturday.

Not sure if I will run into this problem, but thanks for the heads up.

2. says

Excellent, thanks for that it’s been driving me mad for ages. At first I thought it was some new fangled copy protection! [Using: 4G iPod & Linux/cdparanoia/lame]

3. capitalistpunk says

“Thus, bits are allocated according to need. Sort of like Socialism.”

Oh my.

Actually in VBR I’d say that bits are earned based on performance, rather than dispersed evenly among the masses. If you’re a particularly enterprising frame, you get more bits. If you’re a lazy, silent frame, you barely get any. Sort of like capitalism.

4. DTP says

This was a big help. Oddly, when I just used VBR fix by itself, it didn’t totally work. So I made ITUNES convert all of the ID3 tags to version 1.0. That seemed to do the trick.

Annoying how apple doesn’t address issues like this and gapless playback.

dtp

5. says

DTP, if you’re looking for a GREAT program for managing ID3 tags, look no further than eMusic Tag Editor. It is for Windows, and it’s not free, but it’s a must-have for the compulsive types that need their tags to be perfect.

6. Klutz Lament says

The really screwy thing is that QuickTime displays the correct length regardless of whether or not the file has the “Xing” header. I thought that iTunes relied on QuickTime…

7. says

Excellent link there – this little peculiarity had been driving me mad for some time. Fixed all my tunez! I agree with Mark , Apple should have made this knowledge available to the general public to avoid confusion.

8. says

Thanks a million for this. I also found it on Google. I have some audiobooks (mp3 format though – ripped from CD) that ended and went on to the next track too soon. I’m using VBRFIX now.

9. says

OMG, thanks for writing this post and being cached by Google! iTunes screwed up for me after using Mixmester’s BPM Analyzer…this fixed everything!

Trackbacks

1. length completely wrong on my iPod. Initially thought it was a bug in the ripping software, but after manually ripping with cdparanoia & lame came to the conclusion it must be because I’ve started using VBR A quick google revealed a post on a web site ‘Tempus Fugit’

2. […] hey i had a similiar problem with my mp3’s of cds that i would rip with vbr until i found this article aout this program that really solved everything: http://txfx.net/2005/02/08/vbr-mp3-fix/ the program is called vbr fix in which fixes header and seeks of mp3 that seem to get messed up while converting from cd or whatevea this program really help me and fixed everything just like the article said and know i scan all my mp3 before i put it on my zen touch i would suggest this program for everyone here is the link to the main website any problems let me know http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.php hope this helps everyone and you. […]

3. […] Help – Search – Member List – Calendar Full Version: iPod mini 2G stutters when playing LAME aps Hydrogenaudio Forums > Audio Compression > MP3 > MP3 – Tech Pages: 1, 2, 3 Busemann May 22 2005, 04:17 PM QUOTE(sehested @ May 22 2005, 02:08 PM)Their reaction was a shoulder shug as he suggestion to use the built-in mp3 encoder.So it doesn't happen with the iTunes encoder? sehested May 22 2005, 04:44 PM QUOTE(Busemann @ May 22 2005, 02:17 PM)So it doesn't happen with the iTunes encoder?I have tested the iTunes mp3 encoder at the following settings:- MP3 128kbps VBR Highest Quality- MP3 192kbps VBR Highest Quality- MP3 256kbps VBR Highest QualityOnly with LAME is it possible to create the problem. earphiler May 23 2005, 06:55 PM i just bought an iriver h320 for 210 used shipped. i had one before but i had to sell it cos i needed money this is purrrrfect sehested May 24 2005, 03:31 PM QUOTE(earphiler @ May 22 2005, 09:37 AM)just loaded up Nine Inch Nails – Right Where It Belongs (towards end is the major skip-test) on my dad's 2G 4GB mini, and it skipped if no fix comes out in the next 2 months, i'm going to buy a non-apple DAP. this is unacceptable and i'm getting impatient (although my 3G 15GB is suffice)The stuttering / skipping on that song is terrible! I have added the lossless sample and updated my initial post:Nine Inch Nails – Right Where it Belongs Faelix May 24 2005, 06:26 PM Just a hint:Searching about general AAC compatibility on iPod, I've found this topic about Nero AAC skipping, and, although the discussion wasn't thoroughly conclusive, there were indications about iTunes tagging system. By any chance, could VBR stuttering be aliviated if iTunes had the opportunity of analysing the music files before upoloading to iPod?P.S.: Sorry if this is B.S., I don't have an iPod, but I'd like one very much, and I'm very sensitive about such bug reports. soundcheck Jun 19 2005, 02:40 PM Having just acquired a 2nd gen mini, I loaded on some of the test samples from sehested's original post. Thought my results would be of interest.Results so far:Five_Years_20s.mp3 – slight stutter just prior to file's end (possibly due to the mp3 slice?)Five_Years_LAME.mp3 – plays perfectlyAWS_HOPE_XM_cut.mp3 – one tiny gap in playback around the 14 second markEQ was off for all of these tests. sehested Jun 19 2005, 04:18 PM QUOTE(soundcheck @ Jun 19 2005, 12:40 PM)Having just acquired a 2nd gen mini, I loaded on some of the test samples from sehested's original post. Thought my results would be of interest.Results so far:Five_Years_20s.mp3 – slight stutter just prior to file's end (possibly due to the mp3 slice?)Five_Years_LAME.mp3 – plays perfectlyAWS_HOPE_XM_cut.mp3 – one tiny gap in playback around the 14 second markEQ was off for all of these tests.What about NIN? The stuttering is quite obvious at the end on that song.Are you sure that the clock speed was not 80 all along?If your iPod was connected to the computer it would stay at 80. Also sometimes the clock speed gets stuck on 80 and speed optimisation isn't used. To rule out this from happening you can reset your iPod by pressing and holding MENU and select for a couple of seconds.I have personally checked two 2G minis that both have the problem.Eventually Apple will release new iPod mini software that should fix the problem. My 2G mini came with version 1.3. What version are you running? soundcheck Jun 19 2005, 05:29 PM QUOTE(sehested @ Jun 19 2005, 06:18 PM)What about NIN? The stuttering is quite obvious at the end on that song.Are you sure that the clock speed was not 80 all along?If your iPod was connected to the computer it would stay at 80. Also sometimes the clock speed gets stuck on 80 and speed optimisation isn't used. To rule out this from happening you can reset your iPod by pressing and holding MENU and select for a couple of seconds.I have personally checked two 2G minis that both have the problem.Eventually Apple will release new iPod mini software that should fix the problem. My 2G mini came with version 1.3. What version are you running?Hi sehested,Thanks for the info. You're right… I just encoded the NIN file and loaded it on the ipod. I get an obvious breakup at 10s, again at 19s, and a bit right at the end of the file. By far this is the worst of the batch.My firmware is also 1.3, fresh out of the box, running on battery, no EQ. I did a reset to double-check and all results are the same. borndevil Jun 25 2005, 06:45 AM hi… I sent my iPod in service (for this and a wheel problem)I had it replaced yesterday. this morning I tried new and was orrible discover that same problem was there!! I thought about use of goPod, something wrong in these bytes that changes (w/no chance to take it back)…now I discover this thread and wooo that's enough for me as I was thinking about a ipod window-falling.. yes, that's a bad thing, iTunes encoder even with best setting doesn't sound as lame 3.90, so I think it's better place the EQ in some likely setting and we'll see.sehested: thank you, you saved my new pod from burning in deep flames… sehested Jun 25 2005, 07:45 AM QUOTE(borndevil @ Jun 25 2005, 04:45 AM)sehested: thank you, you saved my new pod from burning in deep flames…You're welcome borndevil Jun 25 2005, 11:53 AM some reported EVERY sample I sent (mine too… and yours) are PERFECT on iPOD Mini 2G… you know what means……is changed something… chip… some component… some internal algorithm…ours are really "different"… I think about some cost-reduction or other contracts with suppliers and different chips.italian forum is alerted now.whe must stay united because something is changed inside.if it's an update problem well… it will be fast… if not… hyper84 Jun 27 2005, 10:17 AM Here is one more confirmation of the stated problem with the NIN sample. Played fine in the dock (lame 3.96.1 –preset standard). When disconnected, however, the mini 2g stuttered badly. sehested Jun 28 2005, 10:47 AM Apple just released iPod Updater 2005-06-26 with iPod mini software 1.4.The stuttering issue remains… They have known the issue and have yet failed to address it.Makes you wonder if they are rather content with the fact that LAME has compatibility issues with iPod mini. I'm going to let them know once more at the Apple Discussion forum chrisgeleven Jun 28 2005, 11:43 AM I finally am able to confirm this issue (I tried out those audio files the other night).Did not try the new iPod update, but it sounds like it did not fix the problem borndevil Jun 28 2005, 02:24 PM yesupdate didn't fix…………………… hyper84 Jun 28 2005, 03:51 PM Hey i have great news! More bad samples! Green Day – Brain Stew and Jimi Hendrix – Wild Thing (off the Voodoo Child collection). Brain Stew stutters at the beginning and Wild Thing stutters at 4:44 into the song. I guess it's well confirmed by now though, but you may have wanted to know… Has anyone had problems with vbr aac similar to the ones with lame? I am going to run these samples with nero's vbr aac transparency setting to see if they still stutter. I'll report back soon. Jojo Jun 28 2005, 04:18 PM the problem doesn't occur if the EQ is on, right?! soundcheck Jun 28 2005, 10:41 PM QUOTE(sehested @ Jun 28 2005, 12:47 PM)Apple just released iPod Updater 2005-06-26 with iPod mini software 1.4.The stuttering issue remains… They have known the issue and have yet failed to address it.Makes you wonder if they are rather content with the fact that LAME has compatibility issues with iPod mini. I'm going to let them know once more at the Apple Discussion forumArrrg…. was really hoping this problem would be "cured" today but this is not surprising. Well, I guess that will give us more time to file bug reports before the next update. sehested, Do you know what causes the clock speed to sometimes get stuck on 80? I noticed my battery level declining faster than it should the past few days, and when the problematic LAME aps files played perfectly I realized that clock speed optimization was off. Not sure how this happened. sehested Jun 28 2005, 11:51 PM QUOTE(Jojo @ Jun 28 2005, 02:18 PM)the problem doesn't occur if the EQ is on, right?!Right. But, I personally prefer the flat EQ and to choose another EQ setting will fail to reproduce the sound as I want to hear it. sehested Jun 28 2005, 11:54 PM QUOTE(soundcheck @ Jun 28 2005, 08:41 PM)sehested, Do you know what causes the clock speed to sometimes get stuck on 80? I noticed my battery level declining faster than it should the past few days, and when the problematic LAME aps files played perfectly I realized that clock speed optimization was off. Not sure how this happened.Happens for me too occassionally, but I still haven't figured out what causes it. hyper84 Jun 28 2005, 11:55 PM nero vbr aac seems to be fine with the problematic songs. grug Jun 29 2005, 05:12 AM I installed iPod Linux on my 4G iPod and it handles every –aps I threw at it without any pops or clicks or stutters at all. I can't wait until it matures a little more.And as of tonight iPod Linux works on 2nd gen Minis. hyper84 Jul 2 2005, 01:12 AM QUOTE(grug @ Jun 29 2005, 06:12 AM)I installed iPod Linux on my 4G iPod and it handles every –aps I threw at it without any pops or clicks or stutters at all. I can't wait until it matures a little more.And as of tonight iPod Linux works on 2nd gen Minis. I don't know, but I'm sure that when running ipod Linux the clock speed on the ipod runs higher, so no you wouldn't have this problem. But it does play flac earphiler Jul 2 2005, 01:13 PM I wonder if the "new" 20gb 'color' ipods have the skipping problem, and how about your ipod photo 1g 60gb you have? did u try updating that and see if the problem was still there ? thx Fuchal Jul 2 2005, 05:19 PM I have a 40GB 4th gen iPod and I have yet to run into any problem files. stewy Jul 9 2005, 10:19 AM It's good to hear that I'm not the only one with these problems.There really doesn't seem to be much information online about this topic.I have a 2G ipod mini, I've only experienced the skipping on about 3 of the 750 songs that I've got loaded onto the ipod and they are all VBR. I've also noticed that on these three songs the rock equalization trick does not work for me, the files still skip. Hopefully we will see a fix to this problem soon!In the meantime I'll be encoding using –alt-preset cbr 192 sehested Jul 9 2005, 11:41 AM QUOTE(stewy @ Jul 9 2005, 08:19 AM)I've also noticed that on these three songs the rock equalization trick does not work for me, the files still skip. If using EQ doesn't cure the problem on your three songs, you might be experiencing a different problem.You can use the test samples in this thread to test if your 2G iPod mini has the stuttering problem.What are the three songs that are giving you problems? stewy Jul 9 2005, 01:46 PM Well, it really does seem to be the same problem to me.The songs i'm having problems with are…Fiery Furnaces – Single Again (only skips once, pretty minor stuttering)Architeture in Helsinki – Frenchy, I'm Faking (this one's really bad, i can't get through the song without skipping it)All of the files are VBR… I even decoded the mp3's back to wav's, then re-encoded them back to CBR, the CBR files play just fine. (i know this is terrible for quality, but it's just a test) So for now, that's my solution.I'm still using the version 1.3 firmware for my ipod, is it possible that the eq trick only works with version 1.4?i've noticed that in some instances that if i delete a skipping song and add it again that the skip is gone, it worked for "Elliot Smith – I didn't understand" which is encoded at a CBR of 320…. i've tried this numerous times with the two songs listed above but it just doesn't work for themactually, this is getting really annoying… i've dumped my entire library from the ipod and loaded it back on again…. skips disappear from some songs but show up in others that were fine. grrrrr Jojo Jul 9 2005, 04:23 PM QUOTE(stewy @ Jul 9 2005, 11:46 AM)I'm still using the version 1.3 firmware for my ipod, is it possible that the eq trick only works with version 1.4?no, version 1.4 doesn't address any of that and the EQ thing also works with 1.3…be aware that upgrading to 1.4 will stop your iPod from updating Smart Playlist on the go… stewy Jul 9 2005, 05:16 PM has anyone tried this?http://txfx.net/2005/02/08/vbr-mp3-fix/ Jojo Jul 10 2005, 04:51 AM QUOTE(stewy @ Jul 9 2005, 03:16 PM)has anyone tried this?http://txfx.net/2005/02/08/vbr-mp3-fix/you don't need this tool unless you got your files from dubious sources…it also destroys the LAME-Header, so it shouldn't be used unless there's a real problem, which won't happen with files you rip and encode properly using one of LAME's presets. earphiler Jul 10 2005, 10:50 AM QUOTE(Jojo @ Jul 10 2005, 05:51 AM)QUOTE(stewy @ Jul 9 2005, 03:16 PM)has anyone tried this?http://txfx.net/2005/02/08/vbr-mp3-fix/you don't need this tool unless you got your files from dubious sources…it also destroys the LAME-Header, so it shouldn't be used unless there's a real problem, which won't happen with files you rip and encode properly using one of LAME's presets.what do you mean obtain files from dubious sources? whether files are downloaded or not, they still skip on iPod. I only have a 3G at the moment, but can anyone confirm (preferably Sehested or people with 2G mini/ipod photo) and see if this is a plausible fix? Not really sure what you mean by lame-header, pardon my ignorance.here, try this sample NIN right where it belongs, run with VBRfix sehested Jul 10 2005, 11:06 AM QUOTE(earphiler @ Jul 10 2005, 08:50 AM)what do you mean obtain files from dubious sources?Files whose origin is unknown could be encoded by little known mp3 encoders or with settings causing problems.QUOTEI only have a 3G at the moment, but can anyone confirm (preferably Sehested) and see if this is a plausible fix?I have tried the tool (Windows version 1.0), but it screwing up the mp3 so f2k now displays the wrong play time.I stopped further investigation of the tool right there and I must admit that the tool appears rather dubious. Anyway LAME should not need a tool to replace its header.QUOTENot really sure what you mean by lame-header, pardon my ignorance.A mp3 file contains a header with information on bit-rate, length etc.. This information is used by mp3 players to display the correct play time of a song. Apparently slightly different types of headers are used by the different mp3 encoders. earphiler Jul 10 2005, 11:10 AM Did you try it on the actual iPod though and see if it fixed the skips? That'd be most pertinent. i tried doing a few mp3s, and they read fine on f2k. Might just be,,, oh i have no idea sehested Jul 10 2005, 11:27 AM QUOTE(earphiler @ Jul 10 2005, 09:10 AM)Did you try it on the actual iPod though and see if it fixed the skips? That'd be most pertinent. i tried doing a few mp3s, and they read fine on f2k. Might just be,,, oh i have no ideaTried your VBRfixed version of NINright on my 2G iPod mini. It still stutters. earphiler Jul 10 2005, 03:41 PM I'm relieved. I know , with certainty , there will be a fix as long as it is brought to Apple's attention.http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ipod…ameencoder.htmlthey support LAME and offer it to download on their site. So LAME isn't the enemy in their eyes. yey, this was a relief (dunno if its old news) Busemann Jul 10 2005, 03:53 PM QUOTE(earphiler @ Jul 10 2005, 01:41 PM)I'm relieved. I know , with certainty , there will be a fix as long as it is brought to Apple's attention.http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ipod…ameencoder.htmlthey support LAME and offer it to download on their site. So LAME isn't the enemy in their eyes. yey, this was  a relief (dunno if its old news) Jojo Jul 10 2005, 06:43 PM QUOTE(earphiler @ Jul 10 2005, 08:50 AM)what do you mean obtain files from dubious sources? whether files are downloaded or not, they still skip on iPod. I only have a 3G at the moment, but can anyone confirm (preferably Sehested or people with 2G mini/ipod photo) and see if this is a plausible fix? Not really sure what you mean by lame-header, pardon my ignorance.all I said was that the tool you mentioned won't fix the iPod problem at all, since it's not related to it in any way. It will just fix some files that got screwed up, which normally doesn't happen, unless you got them from someone who used a weird encoder along with pretty scary settings and aborted the download at 98% or tried to cut them with one of the countless mp3 tools floating around online…Those tools should only be used if it can't be avoided…and by no means should be run recursively on an entire mp3 collection just in case…Anyway, the stutter problem even occurs if the files were properly encoded with LAME… earphiler Jul 10 2005, 07:02 PM I just misunderstood what you said. Sorry stewy Jul 11 2005, 09:22 AM yeah, sorry, that's my bad… files i encode myself with lame will have proper headers… this tool isn't fixing anything… stewy Jul 11 2005, 03:30 PM QUOTE(earphiler @ Jul 10 2005, 06:11 PM)I'm relieved. I know , with certainty , there will be a fix as long as it is brought to Apple's attention.http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ipod…ameencoder.htmlthey support LAME and offer it to download on their site. So LAME isn't the enemy in their eyes. yey, this was  a relief (dunno if its old news)that's definitely some good news, they're saying that files encoded with lame should play fine on the ipod and clearly they do not…(the settings they use for the example on their page is –alt-preset standard!)i'd really just like to hear some feedback from apple, just an acknowledgement of the problem… at least that way we'd know that they're working on it. Vero Jul 11 2005, 07:22 PM Hi there,I have a brand new 20gig ipod photo. I have downloaded and tested both sample files and have experienced no problems. Yes I did disable the equalizer.I am running the latest firmware 2005-06-26.Any other samples i should try? odious malefactor Jul 11 2005, 08:45 PM QUOTE(Vero @ Jul 11 2005, 05:22 PM)Hi there,I have a brand new 20gig ipod photo. I have downloaded and tested both sample files and have experienced no problems. Yes I did disable the equalizer.I am running the latest firmware 2005-06-26.Any other samples i should try?The title of this thread would lead one to surmise that the problems mentioned relate to the mini and not your particular model. Vero Jul 12 2005, 09:54 AM QUOTEThe title of this thread would lead one to surmise that the problems mentioned relate to the mini and not your particular model.however if you read the thread you would have noticed other models have been mentioned as well. sehested Jul 12 2005, 01:07 PM QUOTE(Vero @ Jul 12 2005, 07:54 AM)QUOTEThe title of this thread would lead one to surmise that the problems mentioned relate to the mini and not your particular model.however if you read the thread you would have noticed other models have been mentioned as well.Yeah, but the problem is only related to the 2G iPod mini.I have personally tested 4G iPod and 1G iPod mini and they don't have the problem. Furthermore no users of other iPods than the 2G iPod mini have reported the problem. BTW Just discovered that "A Satisfied Mind" by Johnny Cash has the most obvious stuttering of all songs I heard right in the beginning earphiler Jul 14 2005, 07:27 AM i'm getting 2g mini today (read below) so i'll test and see if theres stutter. sehested Jul 14 2005, 12:13 PM Just brought a 4G colour iPod. Thought that would cure the problem… And it almost did! However still stutters on the NIN – Right Where it Belongs sample… I'd say: It's going to be darn hard to find any songs that stutters on the 4G colour iPod, but they do exist. What's more: It did not help using the Bass Reducer EQ settings, however Acoustic will do the trick. earphiler Jul 14 2005, 01:03 PM good god sehested, why do you go through so many DAP's?almost as many as I do sehested Jul 14 2005, 02:33 PM QUOTE(earphiler @ Jul 14 2005, 11:03 AM)good god sehested, why do you go through so many DAP's?Actually, I just brought four 4G color iPod's for my employees Going to use them as an indispensable tool, sort of an electronic pocket book with a lot of information. earphiler Jul 14 2005, 05:16 PM just tested my 6gb green and it skipped with both five years and nin.but with acoustic eq, it didn'toh well, i dont think i'll transcode — how long does the battery last (roughly) with an eq cranked? This is a “lo-fi” version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here. Invision Power Board © 2001-2005 Invision Power Services, Inc. […]

4. […] Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator I’ve learned that the iPod does not support crossfade. Itunes playback on your PC: yes. iPod: no. Apple uses an “old-school” way to read VBR headers on audio files. Here’s a good article about it: VBR fix. This causes to the iPod to read the track length incorrectly, ending the song before it’s over. In my case, I’m missing about the last 5-6 seconds of the song. Some have reported missing up to the last 45 seconds. Many people (including me) have complained to Apple for months but Apple refuses to address the problem. It is very annoying when a song builds and builds to a “grand finale” only to have it cut off suddenly like a bullet was put through the singers head in mid-note. * This post was edited 12/07/05 08:07am by an administrator/moderator * […]

5. […] After trying this, and noticing iTunes still didn’t give a shit about how long the ep actually was with regard to displayed time left (but still playing the ep in entirety), I have discovered this infamous Xing header is "old school". LAME is undoubtedly the best free MP3 encoder, and I personally don’t plan to stop using it to encode hashlugradio unless something catastrophic happens. I see the best way forward is fixing Amarok to read single channel VBR files "properly", instead of relying on some crufty old relic from another encoder, and petitioning Apple and other manufacturers to sort out their VBR support too._________________neuro: hashlugradio | blog | smoothwall […]